Monday, September 19, 2011

Survival...

As I was reading the paper and listening to news, I kept wondering about all the people I had come across in my journey to my favourite state- Sikkim. And now, I can only hope that all of them are fine.

I remember our driver was a fun-loving 21 year old boy who said that he wanted to make a bit of money and then would get married to his girlfriend in a year's time. Infact we even saw his girlfriend.  Actually she travelled with us from yumthang to lachung. Both of them kept chattering all the way, the driver paying little attention to the road and the background music so very apt..."jab koi baat bigar jayee, jab koi mushkil par jayee, tum dena saath mera, O hamnava...". On my part I was wondering, "jab koi road khisak jayee, jab koi blind turn mil jayee, tum dena saath hamara, O bhagwan". Obviously, the young chap was too young to understand.

Is he married now?

Our host in Lachen was extending his hotel. He had a four year old boy and hs wife was expecting. Does he have a beautiful daughter or a bouncy baby boy now? It was such a family place and we had dinner in his kitchen. A traditional one. I hope his hotel is built now.

I hope the earthquake didn't shatter too many dreams...


 Did this survive this earthquake?

This was taken on my journey towards lachen on a particularly rainy day. I couldn't help wondering how it did such a balancing act. I don't think this survived...

No comments:

Post a Comment