Friday, August 26, 2011

New Lessons Learnt !

So, what am I talking about? What do you think...about - cats!!! No, not that Broadway musical but homely (apparently)cats of the feline community!


Now now, who is this? This is the male kitten. He is friendlier than the rest, emotional and sensitive. Now how could I make that out? I can't even read people, how did I ever read them...correctly? Long story...some other post. Like every other cat, he likes to groom himself.

And, unlike the other kittens who visit our place...he lets me pick him up and does not resist in any way. But that happens only when I get a chance to pick him up. He is so fast that it is next to impossible to catch him.





Now, who is this? Well, she is the cutest of the lot. She on her part doesn't realise how cute she looks. She is only interested in food and doesn't quite care about anything else - and that includes her sister and brother. And she is THE reason that I am writing this!




So one day, I tried to pick her up. And got bitten...seriously. Yes, she is just a six month old kitten but she has very sharp teeth. And my mother is someone who gets hyper very quickly.  To make things worse, she spoke with  an over-excited doctor about it. And then, injections followed...another story altogether.


Yesterday something new happened. 

While I was feeding her (and the others), she tried to bite me again. This time,  I got a bit irritated and picked her up in the way their mothers do...by the skin  behind the neck. And she didn't move.  No, I wasn't strangulating her, nor was I torturing her. Once I had heard in a programme in NatGeo that when a mother holds her cubs this way, the cubs can't resist and it becomes easier to carry them from one place to another. So, then that was it! I became their mother :-D...and no she couldn't resist. But the consequence of that was a few found respect for me. Now she only purrs, no more bites!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cats like it Lips... always pick them up that way and they will not resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really...they like it? It so happens that this cat is running away from me these days. She ignores me royally...some attitude !!! :-)

    ReplyDelete